Dr. Adam Smith fights obesity on a personal and professional level. He is not just a bariatric surgeon, but also a patient.
After watching his patients and their success with the LAP-BAND® system, Dr. Smith chose to undergo LAP-BAND® surgery in 2002 to aid in his own personal weight loss. After losing 100 pounds himself, Dr. Smith was able to relate to patients and their everyday struggles. This knowledge has helped him develop one of the most comprehensive aftercare programs in North Texas. Dr. Smith has led the battle on many different fronts by standing up for the rights of the obese population.
In 2010, he was appointed as a spokesperson by the Obesity Action Coalition and Allergan as part of the Voice my C.H.O.I.C.E. campaign. This campaign gave Dr. Smith the opportunity to speak to congressional representatives about his experience with obesity, and the policy reform he would like to see. He continues to advocate for obesity by devoting some of this time as the President of the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons for 2013. This honor helps Dr. Smith keep obesity and its related diseases in the forefront of discussions and policies amongst his peers. Dr. Smith has been a surgical trainer for Allergan’s LAP-BAND® system for years. He trained many surgeons from across the country, and now is a surgical trainer for the new iBand. Topics such as obesity, the LAP-BAND® system, as well as business and marketing techniques have been lectured internationally by Dr. Smith.
- SSCFW – Specialty Surgery Center Fort Worth Surgical Medical Director
- ACOS – American College of Osteopathic Surgeons Board of Governors
- ACOS – General Surgery Inservice Exam Chairman since 1996
- UNT – University of North Texas Associate Clinical Professor
- CAB – Council for Advances in Bariatrics
- SAGES – Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- ASMBS – American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- ACOS – American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- AOA – American Osteopathic Association
- TOMA – Texas Osteopathic Medical Association
- TMA – Texas Medical Association
- TCMS – Tarrant County Medical Society
- Allergan Corporation (LAP-BAND® manufacturer) Faculty member
- 2013 ACOS President to Professional Societies