Dr. Roberts started his career in surgery, doing a residency that was heavy in emergency general surgery, vascular surgery, surgical oncology, and advanced laparoscopic/bariatric surgery. He witnessed first-hand the damage that diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol had on the body in the form of vascular disease. After performing amputations, general surgery operations, and emergency surgeries, he saw how bariatric surgery could be a successful option for those struggling with obesity.
By his third year of residency, and seeing the growing epidemic of morbid obesity and being fully aware of the medical consequences of its associated comorbid conditions, he knew that he wanted to practice in the field of metabolic surgery. Dr. Roberts trained under Dr. Adam Smith during his residency and enjoyed working alongside him. After speaking with Dr Smith, Dr. Roberts decided to pursue a bariatric surgery fellowship.
After performing more than 100 bariatric cases during residency, Dr. Roberts began training at Tampa General Hospital, which allowed him to focus on bariatric surgery, where he performed more than 100 bariatric operations as the primary surgeon.
While at Tampa General Hospital, Dr. Roberts was able to continue training focused heavily in revision surgery, where he performed both revisions and conversions to:
- Lap band
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Vertical Banded gastroplasty
- Band to sleeve
- Band to bypass
- Sleeve to bypass
- Vertical banded gastroplasty to bypass
Dr Roberts also has extensive robotic training during his work at Tampa General Hospital where he performed robotic sleeve gastrectomy, ventral hernia repair, and gastric bypass.
He returned to Fort Worth in 2016 to work again alongside Dr. Smith.
Dr. Roberts is a Board Certified Bariatic Surgeon.
- D.O.: Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- General Surgery Internship: Plaza Medical Center, Ft Worth
- General Surgery Residency: Plaza Medical Center, Ft Worth
- Fellowship: Bariatric Surgery, Tampa General hospital, Tampa Florida
- ACOS-american college of osteopathic surgeons
- AOA-american osteopathic association
- TOMA-texas osteopathic medical association
- TMA-texas medical association