Tips for helping nighttime heartburn
80% of individuals who experience regular heartburn also experience the discomfort of nighttime heartburn. There are several preventative measures ease the nighttime discomfort that often interrupts sleep. If you have experienced heartburn symptoms and have tried these tips and have used heartburn medication regularly, please consult our doctors at Ultimate Bariatrics. You may be a candidate for a procedure to help with regular heartburn (acid reflux).
Tips for reducing nighttime heartburn
- Know your trigger foods. These can differ from person to person but can include caffeinated beverages, alcohol, milk, fatty or greasy foods, mints, garlic and onions, or acidic foods like citrus or tomato. A food diary may help to pinpoint your trigger foods.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Sleeping in clothes that are too tight can put pressure on the stomach and make your symptoms worse.
- Sleep propped up. A wedge pillow can raise your entire upper body so that the whole trunk—not just the head—is elevated keeping stomach acids from flowing upward at night.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal at night. If your stomach isn’t completely full, there will be less pressure and less discomfort. Consider having a smaller dinner and a small evening snack instead.
- Stop smoking. Smoking is a big trigger for some people and can irritate the intestinal tract.
If you are still experiencing frequent nighttime heartburn, and you take over the counter antacids with no relief, schedule a visit with your doctor. Untreated heartburn may be a symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and can lead to the scarring of your esophagus. Ultimate Bariatrics offers the TIF procedure which is an incision-less treatment of the underlying cause of GERD. This procedure reconstructs the antireflux valve and restores the body’s natural protection against reflux.
License: Creative Commons 3 – CC BY-SA 3.0
Attribution: Alpha Stock Images – http://alphastockimages.com/
Original Author: Nick Youngson – link to – http://www.nyphotographic.com/