By Meaghan Edwards Ms, RD/LD
When we think summertime, we think about barbeques, swimming, and hanging outside with friends and family. During this time we find ourselves choosing unhealthy foods, grazing throughout the party, and eating larger portions. Here are some pointers to help yourself stay healthy and make good food choices when you find yourself in this situation.
1. Plan ahead and eat a well balanced meal before going to the party
2. Workout prior to the party
3. Do not stand next to the food table/kitchen
4. Bring a healthy finger food (ex: fruit tray, vegetable tray, grilled chicken bites, etc)
5. Eat the foods you desire in small amounts
6. Snack on raw veggies instead of chips
7. Avoid drinking your calories
8. Choose alcohol, dessert, OR starchy carbohydrate
9. Eat lean protein source (grilled chicken, lean beef, turkey burger, etc)
10. Pay attention to portions you are choosing
By following these guidelines you will be able to avoid weight gain while you are attending all your summertime cookouts. Just remember that you are trying to make healthy food choices 90% of the time and give yourself freedom with foods 10% of the time.