Although we at Fort Worth Lap Band focus mainly on achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, we know that health in all aspects of life is equally important. Fort Worth Lap Band wants to encourage you to learn more about various health concerns that are prevalent so that you can be WHOLE LIFE HEALTHY!
January is Cervical Health Awareness Month, and Fort Worth Lap Band wants you to know that there’s a lot you can do to prevent cervical cancer.
HPV (human papillomavirus) is the most common sexually transmitted disease. It’s also a major cause of cervical cancer. About 79 million Americans currently have HPV, but many people with HPV don’t know they are infected.
The good news?
- HPV can be prevented by the HPV vaccine.
- Cervical cancer can often be prevented with regular screening tests (called Pap tests) and follow-up care.
Taking small steps can help keep you safe and healthy. Most people who have HPV will never know they have it and will show no symptoms. Both men and women can carry and transmit the virus and it may take years before it leads to cervical cancer.
In honor of National Cervical Health Awareness Month, The US Department of Health and Human Services encourages:
- Women to start getting regular Pap tests at age 21
- Women to get the HPV vaccine before age 27
- Men to get the HPV vaccine if you are under age 22
- Men and Women to practice safe and responsible sexual behavior
- Men and Women to stop smoking: smoking and second hand smoke lead to an increase of cell changes, which may increase your risk of cancers.
We here at Forth Worth Lap Band wish you a very happy and healthy new year and encourage you to make small consistent changes in your habits to improve your health. For more health and wellness tips, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.