Adjustable gastric banding, occasionally described as the LAP-BAND ® system, is a minimally invasive weight management surgical procedure. It is commonly an outpatient treatment, with a recovery time of about one week. The flexible band is positioned around the top section of the stomach restricting the amount of food that will travel through it, consequently assisting the individual in attaining weight loss. The LAP-BAND ® treatment does not require any sort of re-routing of the anatomy, or any type of stapling. This will leave the patient with a gentler recovery duration than other kinds of weight reduction surgery.
- Least invasive surgical procedure
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Small incisions and minimal scarring
- Reduced patient pain, length of hospital stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- 10 times less operative and short-term mortality than gastric bypass
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- Reduced risk of hair loss
- No “dumping syndrome” related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal rate of weight-loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened to accommodate increased nutritional needs
- A surgical option designed to help maintain long-term weight loss
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 600,000 LAP-BAND® System devices placed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of surgeons around the world
- #1 selling adjustable gastric band for weight loss
- Academic publications with up to 10 years of follow-up1. Executive summary: Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of obesity (Update and Re-appraisal). The Australian Safety and Efficacy Register of New Interventional Procedures – Surgical (ASERNIPS) 2002;1. (Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery, like the LAP-BAND® surgery, is associated with a mean short-term mortality rate of around 0.05% compared to 0.50% for Gastric Bypass and 0.31% for Vertical Banded Gastroplasty.)
* Results may vary from person to person.
Contact Us About This Procedure!