Whether you choose a medical procedure to help with weight loss or not, proper exercise and nutrition should be an important part of your daily life. Sometimes, it may seem overwhelming to get started, but there are just a few key things to keep in mind to begin the little steps toward a much healthier lifestyle.
- Keep up the Cardio- You don’t have to be a marathon runner. In fact, it may be better if you’re not. You just need to keep your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes to get a good workout. One of the popular approaches right now is called HIIT (high intensity interval training). Try pushing really hard for 20 seconds, and then going easy for a minute or two. Repeat. This keeps your heart rate up, burns tons of calories, but doesn’t feel boring or exhausting as walking on the treadmill at the same speed for an hour.
- Variety is the Spice of Life- Have to tried bowling? Rowing? Biking? Hiking with friends? Keep your body guessing and make workouts fun by not thinking of working out as this “one scary thing”, but ANYTHING that keeps your body moving.
- Lift More- Sometimes, the weight section of the gym is overwhelming. But, lifting weights is so important as we age. Stronger muscles, stronger bones, stronger bodies– mean fewer falls and fewer broken bones. Also, muscle burns more calories daily than fat. So, for your waistline (and for your future), find someone who can help you learn how to properly build your strength.
- Clean up your Diet- Choose more fresh, unprocessed food, and less “diet” food. Whole, unprocessed foods are higher in nutrition and lower in added sugar and salts.
- And lastly, Snack Right- Snacks are just important as meals. Having the right snacks and supplements will keep your energy up, keep your metabolism working, and provide the nutrients needed daily.
To get started with a healthier lifestyle, pick one thing to change each week. When you get comfortable, add something else in. Get used to making positive changes in your nutrition, fitness, and daily routine, and those changes will add up to a big change later on! You can do this!